We’ve got a student from Leeds Metropolitan University starting with my team in the next few weeks for a placement year (internship), and he’s asked for advice on self-study before joining the team.
I’ve got this down as a list of stuff for someone who’s just starting out. What would you recommend?
- I used to recommend The Pragmatic Programmer (we have copies of this in our team library), but I’ve had a read of some excerpts in http://pragprog.com/book/jcdeg/new-programmer-s-survival-manual and it looks like sound advice from what I’ve read
- http://martinfowler.com/articles/is-tdd-dead/ – Lean about the ongoing debate
- http://www.w3schools.com/html/default.asp / http://www.w3schools.com/css/default.asp – HTML and CSS are web development basics
- http://shop.oreilly.com/product/0636920023951.do – C# 5 In A Nutshell (we have a copy of this)
- http://www.asp.net/mvc – Watch the free Pluralsight training
- http://learn.jquery.com/ – Another essential tool in the modern Web stack
- Do some challenges on https://www.codeeval.com/